Aesthetics. They matter.

Aesthetics. They matter.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Fairy Tale Dressing
















































































Perhaps this is in honor of the upcoming Tim Burton film, perhaps this is just a turn of fashion, but I absolutely adore this new trend of fairty tale clothes.
I think the first time I saw this look, I was watching strawberry koi's hair styling videos. She is this adorable video blogger who specializes in vintage dressing. If you'd like to check her out, her blog is: http://www.strawberrykoi.com/

She is adorable and pretty and everything I wish I could be.

Anyway, the most prominant picks right now are for the tales of Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, Peter and the Wolf.

It is a very "Secret Garden" look, with modest hems and high necklines. It's not so cute as to be precious, but enough that when seen it envokes a feeling of pink tinted nostaligia.

A couple of key items I've found for you lovely kids:

Little Red Ridinghood coat:


Bloomers (for if your little dresses get blown up by the wind!):


T-strap heels and mary janes are always lovely.


How To Get The Look:

Tips.
Hair: keep it simple.
I recommend a headband that goes over the head, thin and with a small bow.
Bows are always good for the look. Whether big and floppy or tiny and well placed, you cant go wrong with bows. Braids are a classy way to pull the look together. Imagine the time in which the story is set and how a child would have worn their hair.


Accessories: keep them at a minimum.

Lockets instead of necklaces, tights instead of leggings, knit mittens instead of gloves. Tiny simple purses. If it is winter, you can really bring the house down by wearing a fur muff.


Vintage shopping:

When searching for items to fit this trend, look for natural fabrics, nothing metalic, or overtly manmade. Lace is good, peter pan collars are good, 60's style circle dresses are good. Capelets are good. thrift stores often have a nice collection of sweaters. Pearl buttons are just darling enough to put the finishing touch on an outfit.

Make-up:

This can go one of three ways:

1. Plain natural make up ( in which the goal is to make the face look as flawlessly natural as possible)
2. Doll like make-up ( to exagerate the look)
3. Preternatural look. ( rosy rosy cheeks and lips, lots of masceara. If you're looking for a visual think "Susan"from the lion the witch and the wardrobe movies)



Where to shop if you dont want to thrift store dive:
Urban outfitters has alot of dresses for this look.
Forever 21 sometimes has dresses and accessories
Target in their women'sbusiness wear section has many cute dresses for this look.
Charlotte Russe

enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. The fairytale trend is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world! It's actually one of the reasons I'm growing my hair so long, I want to look like I popped right out of a childrens book.

    Preferably little red riding hood. Lovelovelove. Especially because the industry is doing this all in a way that's classy, not overtly sexual. Instead of making into something skanky, it's really pulling out the fantasy appeal to this look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i adore little red riding hood. I'm on board with that one and peter and the wolf. i cant get rid of my woolens. XD

    i did some fancy make up today that you missed! D: aw. it was sort of like the doll make-up video i posted.

    bt dubs, you're going to look hot with fairytale hair. just stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww D: I miss everything lol, and I'm glad you think so, I'm really glad that I'm finally committing to grow my hair out, even though it totally goes against my nature of constant change

    ReplyDelete